Saturday, February 6, 2010

Fresh Honey Wheat Bread


As I opened a fresh carton of buttermilk, my nose immediately draws close and inhales a small piece of heaven. Right there in that exact moment, I decided that anything with the word butter in it has made this world a better place; especially if it’s organic buttermilk.

I poured the buttermilk in my brand spanking new bread machine, with a little this and a little that. I pushed a little button and was happy to know that kneading, rising, and baking would be taken care of by this little machine.

By the way, let me just confess something right here and now. I am not ashamed to admit that I bought a bread machine, and for all I care, it is one of the greatest inventions of mankind. It’s so great that for the first 30 minutes, I watched the ingredients knead itself into dough. It was completely entertaining and humorous in an innocent childlike manner.

Every now and then I would check on the loaf as it baked, initially thinking to myself, “oh god please don’t f-up.” Last time I attempted to make fresh bread, something went horribly wrong and not only did it greatly annoy me, I wasted 4 cups of perfectly good organic flour. This time around I was determined to get the recipe down perfectly, and I’m happy to report that it went over very well. The recipe for Fresh Honey Wheat Bread is not only damn good, I guarantee that it will be hard for you to want to share it with anyone else.


Fresh Honey Wheat Bread

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups buttermilk,

3 tablespoons honey

1 tablespoons olive oil

1 cup whole wheat flour

2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast

Directions

  1. Pour in the buttermilk, honey, and olive oil into pan of the bread machine pan.
  2. Add the whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, baking soda, and salt.
  3. Using your finger, make a small shallow well in the dry ingredients and carefully pour the yeast into the hole.
  4. Set your bread machine to accommodate a 2lb whole wheat loaf, on medium heat.
  5. If baking in an oven, use manual or dough cycle to knead dough.
  6. Remove from bread maker, and place in a greased loaf pan. Let rise until doubled in size. Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 25 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment