For 4th of July, my family and I went camping. One morning we decided to take a hike and realized that we needed to pack a lunch. I looked in the fridge noticed that we still had some bread, tomatoes, and chicken (that my mother broiled in the oven with a bit of McCormick's Montreal Chicken Seasoning), and I created these yummy leftover sandwiches that were perfect for hungry hikers. The idea is to not go out and buy anything. Use whatever you already have and as Tim Gunn would say, "MAKE IT WORK, PEOPLE!"
Leftover seasoned chicken (i.e. Montreal Seasoning, Lemon-Pepper Seasoning, Chipotle Seasoning)
Leftover Bread (i.e. Baguette, French Bread, Focaccia)
Cheese (i.e Sharp Cheddar, Mild Cheddar, Provolone, Swiss)
1. If bread is not already pre-sliced, slice open the bread and cut enough so that each person in your party can have a sandwich.
2. Lather one side of the bread with Dijon mustard.
3. With the other piece of bread place one slice of cheese and melt in the microwave for 20-30 seconds, or until the cheese is melted half-way.
4. With a knife, cut the leftover chicken into thin slices. Place chicken on top of semi-melted cheese. (This helps the chicken to stick to the bread.)
5. Place tomato & lettuce on the slice of bread with the Dijon mustard.
6. Add two slices together to create a sandwich.
7. Pack the sandwich in a lunch or enjoy as is!
Wednesday, July 8, 2009
I absolutely love the song, "Tempted By the Fruit of Another" by the British rock band Squeeze. If you don't have it, I highly recommend that you download it on iTunes.
10 blackberries, raspberries, or blueberries (Berries of your choice)
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
Low-fat Vanilla Ice Cream
1. Cut bananas and strawberries into 1/4 inch slices.
2. Pour whipping cream, sugar, lemon juice, and almond extract into a bowl. Use a hand mixer and blend the two ingredients until the whipping cream is thick and fluffy.
3. In four bowls, add a layer of bananas, strawberries, and berries of your choice.
4. Scoop out some ice cream and place it on top of the fruit.
5. Add another layer of bananas, strawberries, and berries of you choice.
6. Place a dallop of the homemade whipped cream in each bowl.
7. Garnish with lemon slice & lemon zest.
8. Serve & Chow-down!